News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by rollntider, October 20, 2016, 04:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

http://kotaku.com/heres-your-first-look-at-the-nx-nintendos-upcoming-con-1788004927

ummm... not a big fan of the controller looks. I get the idea... but...um.... WiiU part deux? Love the idea that it is portable/console

Sakura

rollntider

rollntider

Anyone got the switch?

Kokatu reviewed it, i may get it one day if it drops in price... but not now if ever.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-the-kotaku-review-1792776350

rollntider

Switch Launch line up

1-2-Switch
Fast RMX
Just Dance 2017
Human Resource Machine
I Am Setsuna
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Little Inferno
Shovel Knight
Skylanders: Imaginators
Snipperclips
Super Bomberman R
World of Goo

March / April Releases
Arms (Spring 2017)
Has-Been Heroes (March 2017)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 28)
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Spring 2017)
Snipperclips, Cut It Out Together (March 2017)

Bolded the good titles

only like 2 titles I would be interested in. That is the same 2 for the wii and wiiU I wanted and passed on.

cflnut

I Am Setsuna, is the only one I'd be remotely interested in.All the others are meh.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

Sakura

Been watching my friend Debi play this on his stream with his wife and their friends, it looks like a fairly decent tablet, but perhaps overpriced for what it is.  And most definitely overpriced when scalpers get their hands on almost the entire supply.  Prices ranging from $500 all the way up to $1200.  It's hard to imagine that this thing's only been out 8 days.

The Switch is a tablet, plain and simple.  I've not looked into any tech breakdowns of this thing yet, only a disassembly video, but I do know that if you get one, you might want to do a little bit of sanding on the dock that comes with it.  Apparently there's pieces inside of the dock's frame that can and will scratch up your screen.

My friend Debi bought it for Snipperclips and 1-2-Switch, but he also bought Breath of the Wild, and the three of those games look really good.  Snipperclips is a fun and intimate little game where you and your partner(s) try to beat stages together, where you snip and clip each others' characters until you make up the shape of the puzzle and nothing more/less, or you figure out how to get a ball from one location to another by strategically working together to accomplish said goal.

1-2-Switch is another party game, which has a LOT of games in it.  They're all simple games, but they do things that no other video game has ever done before, such as a minigame where you bite down as fast as you can to "eat sandwiches" and try to see who can get the highest score.  Some of the minigames seem a little too primitive though, such as the table tennis minigame where you hit the ball by swinging the joycon when your controller vibrates to let you know to swing.

And then finally there's Breath of the Wild, which I can only sum up as "it's a lot like Skyrim..." and very little like previous Zelda games.  Which is not a bad thing one bit.  It's actually a Zelda game I could see myself playing extensively, but regardless it's a really neat Zelda game which explores the opposite of your typical Zelda game.  Years after the previous iteration of Link, you are a failed hero and everyone hates you.  It's now up to you to make it right by all the people you failed to save, and many of the people you go to save are already dead, having succumbed to their wounds at the hands of the same bosses you previously failed to slay.

In Japan you can order the Switch directly from Nintendo rather than go through third-party retailers, which means that even now with it sold out the Japanese can still reserve a Switch, unlike with say GameStop where they require you to try and get your order in within a 2 minute window when they get stock.  There's been a few theories that Nintendo are only sending the lowest quality units to North America and shipping the best quality units to within Japan, as there's been almost no hardware defect reports in Japan, but plenty outside of Japan.

It's a neat little tablet, but that's the thing, it's a freakin tablet.  It's still not on par with the competition as far as graphics or capabilities go, it's pretty much Wii 2.0 as far as the control systems go, it's got only three good games right now, and the leeches who buy up every unit and scalp them for way too much money ruins yet another video game related thing.

In a couple years if this thing is still supported and has a better software gallery (they have very little happening between now and 2018 at this point), I might pick one up.  I kind of don't want to as well, because I said once upon a time that I wouldn't buy anything Nintendo related unless they made a good mainline Metroid game ever again.  So the good makes me consider giving up that oath, but the negatives are certainly playing a factor too.  If I was to pick up a console right now, I'd probably pick up a PS4 as there's a fairly decent library that's growing.

If I were to pick up a PS4, it would be a PS4 Pro, but I don't have $500 on hand (in fact, I'm actually a little over $200 in debt at the moment, but should be paid off this month, so I can start saving next month I s'pose).

Also another reason I wouldn't pick up a Switch right now?  After less than 4 years of support, the Wii-U got dropped.  It had very few games that anyone talks about, it was worse than the Wii for shovelware and worse than the Wii for firstparty title selection.  Nintendo talked about third-party support and first party support, but rather than go on an empty promise, I'd rather go on actual delivered promises.  I don't mind buying a console midway/late into its life, but I definitely learned from the Wii NOT to buy into one early in into its life.

rollntider

yeah I am a mid to late round adopter myself.

Bret

The controller itself makes me not want it. Marketing fail.

Oh, and I skipped the WiiU, as well. I still play my Wii once in a while.

rollntider

Game cube is the last Nintendo product I have bought.