News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sakura

Quote from: Rigg44 on August 19, 2016, 11:42:51 AM
didn't i see in the news that guy was just released or is being granted a new trial?
His nephew was released based on prosecutorial misconduct from a statement given under coercion.  He himself is still held, the white house has issued a statement that they can't do anything on Avery's behalf that it must be via the county and state legal system, and the entire legal system of the state refuses to even hear his appeal; they continue to reject any and all appeals.  There's proof of evidence tampering and the same Sheriff's department which was being accused of evidence tampering and producing false evidence made themselves part of the investigation into the matter; they "managed to find evidence" (when the actual designated police department wasn't present) that is damning, that other teams failed to find.

It's believed by Avery and his family that the entire murder case is a hush operation, as Avery had a $36 million lawsuit against the state justice department after his exoneration from an overturned conviction where he was railroaded to be convicted of raping a woman for unknown reasons; now they believe that the latest reason is because he was trying to sue for those millions.

I didn't watch the series, this is what I read on wikipedia, and I have no interest at all in watching it; but this kind of thing really does piss me off.

rollntider

I watched the show I also watched some rebuttals from various sources.

My take is I am not sure what to think. The rebuttal videos pointed out the show left out a lot of information. But the show pointed out some inconsistencies that would/should/could cause reasonable doubt in a trial. If you watch the show, i think one should see the other side also.

Spoiler
A few things from that show that even the rebuttal people have not been able to explain

#1 they found a shell casing that supposedly killed the lady, in a nasty dirty garage, but no blood spatter or DNA anywhere?
#2 the very cops that hated the man found damning evidence in the middle of the floor hours after a 3rd party sherrifs office was investigating that spot for hours?
#3 Her brother or friend was deleting messages on her phone after her death? WTF is that about?
#4 Blood evidence in the blazer is too convenient
#5 The coerced testimony from the kid and family not that bright and easily confused.

My opinion is that the lady was murdered by someone not affiliated with Avery
The crooked sherriffs dept then framed the man and began to plant suspect evidence. 

Crewe

To sakura's statement about evidence tampering, there was none against Dassey, and I mean no tampering because there was no evidence, none. They lied, cajoled, played on his emotional instability/weakness and flat out "made a murderer."  All they had to convict him were his statements, and theirs that they attributed to him.

As for the lawsuit retaliation, I firmly believe that was simply dramatic license. Like I said, this was entertainment ultimately.
We can discuss Avery all day long. After seeing what evidence was not covered in the doc as well as extracting the guided emotions from what was presented I feel he's guilty.
To tiders points
Spoiler

I don't recall #1 but I can believe there were aspects of tampering as well as unanswered questions; I too wondered about #3. As for 2, well, I can believe that too if you truly visualize the scene. Cops sweep the room, not really physically poking around unless it's moving covers on the bed, floor etc...
Next batch comes in and conducts a deeper search, rattles the nightstand and there ya go. The way it was presented was to illicit ire but seems reasonable to me. Also Avery seems just that stupid too.

It's been a while but what else bothered me was that they said she was killed in the bed but there was no blood and they never discussed that fact.
Something about the fire pit bothered me too but I can't remember exactly. Something about driving to the pit, but, the pit was right outside the garage where she was supposedly killed, again.
I'm usually one to err on the side of innocence and had I been on the jury maybe I would have, but given everything I've read, seems a lot of evidence against him, much of it not in the doc.

Crewe

I might take a look at it on some down time. I think there was obviously some questionable behavior by cops, et al, but that doesn't mean he's not guilty. I think this case is akin to OJ

Edit to add; I just re read my previous post and it sounds curt, but that wasn't my intention.

rollntider

Its cool Crewe,  but that site shows the shell casings I was talking about.

Sakura

Just saying, but maybe the Avery discussion should get its own thread.  :D

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on August 23, 2016, 05:21:13 PM
Its cool Crewe,  but that site shows the shell casings I was talking about.

There's so much information around this case it's difficult to sort through. Things I found put forth as bona fide fact turned out later to be false and people still cite as true. Way too much information for me to make an informed decision about Avery. I will say that Dassey most certainly should be freed and his attorney thrown in prison. The interrogating cops need their asses beat.

I enjoy the discussion, and yea maybe needs its own thread

rollntider

rollntider

stuff leaving netflix

9/11: Stories in Fragments

America's Secret D-Day Disaster

American Pie Presents: Band Camp

American Pie Presents: Beta House

American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile

An Unmarried Woman

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging

Batman

Black Wings

Blazing Saddles

Blondie's New York

Bombs, Bullets and Fraud

Day of the Kamikaze

Death Beach

El Dorado

Flicka 2

Futurama, season 1-6

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Ghost Whisperer

Hello, Dolly!

Hip Hop: The Furious Force of Rhymes

History in HD: The Last Bomb

Hugo

Kate & Leopold

MacGyver

Mystery Files: Hitler

Nazi Temple of Doom

Samurai Headhunters

Secrets: A Viking Map?

Secrets: Richard III Revealed

Secrets: The Sphinx

Shuttle Discovery's Last Mission

The Hunt for Bin Laden

The Incredible Bionic Man

Titanic's Final Mystery

While You Were Sleeping

Working Girl

July 3

The Last Samurai

Two Weeks Notice

July 6

Los Heroes del Norte, season 1-2

July 11

Opposite Field

July 12

Adventures of Pepper and Paula

In the Basement

Sleeping Beauty

July 13

Kevin Hart: Laugh at My Pain

July 15

All That Glitters

Lessons for a Kiss

Crewe

Nothing on my list there.
I was able to get to The Hustler before it was removed recently. Such a good flick

Luggnutz

Better hurry and catch "Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging" before its gone then !

rollntider

Crewe

Alright, I'm caught up, again.
I need suggestions on decent....scratch that....good tv shows, and I mean depth. I hate the paint by number storytelling.
Off the list, recently.
Better Call Saul
Americans
Bloodlines
HOC
The Killing
The Fall

shelved Vikings, just couldn't get into it. Perhaps I'll revisit it

TheNorm

I've heard Justified is good, but I've never seen it.
Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but Parks & Recreation is pretty good.  :P
Chuck was one of my favorites, but I don't think it's available anywhere streaming at the moment.  >:(
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr