News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2016 College Football Thread

Started by rollntider, January 26, 2016, 10:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

rollntider

A division 2 player was found dead on campus. They,Northwest Missouri State, won the 2015 national title. Sad to here a young man died like that.

MARYVILLE, Mo. — The celebration that followed Northwest Missouri State football's national championship win was short-lived as news that one of the team's players was found dead on Sunday.

Nicholas Turner, a junior, was discovered dead in his residence on campus, according to a news release from the school.

The Nodaway County coroner's office, Maryville Public Safety and University police are conducting an investigation. No foul play is suspected.

Turner finished the 2015 season with 22 tackles, and recorded a sack in the Dec. 19 national title win over Shepherd.

Turner was from St. Louis and was majoring in corporate recreation and wellness.

This marks the second death for the school in two weeks, after freshman Haily Hayes was found dead in her residence on campus on Jan. 17.

http://fox4kc.com/2016/01/31/northwest-football-player-found-dead-on-sunday/

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-National-champion-found-dead-on-campus-43333110

rollntider

SEC trying to stop Harbaugh from holding spring practice in Florida.

I really see no problem with it.

QuoteYou didn't think the SEC would allow Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines to quietly waltz into Florida — a recruiting hotbed for several of the league's elites — and hold spring practice did you?

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey told CBS Sports on Tuesday the league put in a request to the NCAA that it prohibit teams from holding spring practice during spring break, which happens to be the same time (Feb. 27-March 6) Harbaugh announced the Wolverines would hold their initial portion of spring drills at IMG Academy in Bradenton.

This is getting good.

"Our primary reaction [is] that, in the face of the time-demand conversations, we've got one program taking what has been 'free time' away," Sankey told Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports. "Let's draw a line and say, 'That's not appropriate.'"

Sources told CBS Sports they do not expect a reversal to be made in time to block Michigan's practices in Florida. The NCAA is however expected to institute a rule prohibiting such travel in the future.

Michigan's using one of their players' four 'off-weeks' during the calendar year for this scheduled trip to Florida. Sankey says players need time away from football to spend doing whatever they choose, but this robs them of that, even if by choice.

Spring break should be exactly that, he says, a break.

"This seems completely counter to the dialogue," Sankey told CBS Sports. "We have work to do on [giving athletes a] day off. We have work to do on, how do you provide a postseason break? It seems where this is one where reasonable people could say we just shouldn't be in this space."

IMG Academy, by the way, has produced the fifth-most Division I football talent since 2000, according to the 247Sports High School Football Team Talent Composite.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/SEC-wants-to-block-Michigan-from-spring-practice-in-Florida-43597789

TheNorm

I think Harbaugh's response is perfect...passive aggressively subtweeting with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.  :)

https://twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/697489871728803841

I also think Sankey needs to focus more on some of the allegations out of Tennessee and less on where a team decides to hold practice for a week.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on February 11, 2016, 03:34:19 PM
I think Harbaugh's response is perfect...passive aggressively subtweeting with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.  :)

https://twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/697489871728803841

I also think Sankey needs to focus more on some of the allegations out of Tennessee and less on where a team decides to hold practice for a week.

I agree, with allegations of Ole Miss paying players and providing hookers and UT raping women (all allegedly of course). I don't see how this is an issue, bunch crying like the grey shirts and oversigning BS a while back.

More power to Harbaugh, now steal Ole Miss and Auburns recruits :)

Crewe

UT seems to be in the crosshairs, deservedly so from what I've read. I recall passing info on the Ole Miss thing but can't remember deets, care to enlighten?

rollntider

Sorry I missed this Crewe...

No one knows right now. I have heard rumors from this is mainly a houston nutt issue and womens sports problems to 13 allegations that are under Hugh Freeze's reign.

Tunsil had to sit out 7 games this year for something about a car. Heard he was given free use of a car, his step dad hit his mom, he hits step dad, step dad spills beans to NCAA. True? Not sure, but i bet there is something to it.

Another one to watch out for not sure if true, but Bama RB Bo Scarborough had to sit out 4 games due to Ole miss supossedly either paying him or giving him a girlfriend for the night on a visit there.

Something is up, but a few SEC schools are fed up. Just like they were with the Cam Newton scandal. Nothing came of it because many believe because of Auburn's position to play for the national title that the SEC office shielded the barn.

I guess we find out in a few years LOL.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14673673/ole-miss-rebels-charged-multiple-rules-violations-three-sports-ncaa

TheNorm

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

A lawsuit filed by former Vols WR Drae Bowles alleges that Tennessee coach Butch Jones called Bowles a traitor. His 'traitorous' offense? Coming to the aid of a woman allegedly sexually assaulted by two other players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lawsuit-says-butch-jones-called-former-tennessee-wr-a--traitor-230936769.html

But please, SEC Commissioner Sankey, keep focusing on what Jim Harbaugh wants to do.

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on February 23, 2016, 01:08:46 AM
At least Georgia's new coach is honest...the SEC complaints are about Harbaugh angling for a competitive advantage, not the welfare of the students. Duh.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/02/22/georgia-bulldogs-kirby-smart-beef-michigan-wolverines/80783238/?hootPostID=c8bdc4bdfa87a525663f220fb4eb887c

I really don't see how having a Michigan spring break in Florida is an unfair advantage.... Maybe I am missing something.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on February 24, 2016, 08:22:11 PM
A lawsuit filed by former Vols WR Drae Bowles alleges that Tennessee coach Butch Jones called Bowles a traitor. His 'traitorous' offense? Coming to the aid of a woman allegedly sexually assaulted by two other players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lawsuit-says-butch-jones-called-former-tennessee-wr-a--traitor-230936769.html

But please, SEC Commissioner Sankey, keep focusing on what Jim Harbaugh wants to do.

If college players continue this abuse, they might approach abuse in the military numbers

rollntider

even though dude has already graduated, he brought it up so here is Troy Smith and his degree from OSU in Batchlers?(sp)
http://deadspin.com/troy-smith-tells-cop-he-graduated-with-a-degree-in-bac-1768790733?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter

I think Ole Miss and Auburn have that same degree.