News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Flip flop

Started by Crewe, December 29, 2015, 07:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Seems to me politicians are so cautious to change their stance on anything for fear of being called a flip flopper. I get it, if you change your mind because another entity gives you cash, sure, but I really despise a system where a candidate is called out for changing an opinion based on reasonable thought, an unexplored idea, well presented opposing viewpoint or more information.
To me, that just tells me it's a reasonable candidate with an open mind and heaven forbid we have people like that running the country.

Sakura

Quote from: Crewe on December 29, 2015, 07:16:42 PM
Seems to me politicians are so cautious to change their stance on anything for fear of being called a flip flopper. I get it, if you change your mind because another entity gives you cash, sure, but I really despise a system where a candidate is called out for changing an opinion based on reasonable thought, an unexplored idea, well presented opposing viewpoint or more information.
To me, that just tells me it's a reasonable candidate with an open mind and heaven forbid we have people like that running the country.

Eh, it seems to me that propaganda about that can be partly to blame, because they teach kids (especially in colleges) to embrace some political party and so they think party-wise and that's screwed up and they teach them to go all in on it, and not critically analyse or consider the ramifications or actual issues.  So people vote for Dems and then revote for Dems because they think "well, the Dems didn't screw up that badly, I don't like all their policies, but at least it's not Reps!"  And then after they have an unsatisfactory second term, they think "wow, the Dems screwed up, time to vote Reps!" and it swings back and forth like that.

That's what I observe from both American and Canadian politics, although, at least in Canadian politics it's not boiled down to two choices alone.  Problem is, you get no choice on who the actual PM is, just who the guy in your riding is.  Had it come down to it, I'd have voted for Mulcair but I wasn't given a choice of who to vote for PM wise.  Instead I had to choose who my elected local official would be.  Mulcair was opposed to TPP, so I'd have voted for him.

Crewe

While theres truth to that, it strays from my point, which is, a politician wont change their stance even if confronted with evidence, reason, opposing opinion supporting the contrary. Further, I welcome someone who is reasonable and open minded enough to change positions on issues, but like I said, we dont have people like that in this country.

To your post, I think its ingrained well before college. I worked with a girl who in the 08 election was voting for mccain. I legitimately wanted to know why because I like hearing peoples thought processes and opinions. She clearly had not been expecting that, and, keep in mind, this woman was late twenties, and she said, because my daddy was in the oil business and he always voted Republican.
I was not shocked in the least, because if you listen, much more than 50 percent of America pretty much has that same reasoning to a degree. I have no source for that but but I feel extremely safe on that branch.