UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

MMA

Started by Crewe, November 16, 2015, 01:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Anyone follow?
UFC yesterday prompted this thread.
I guess id be classified as a casual follower in that I follow the sport and understand basics but get lost when you get overly scientific about the sport.
I add this in regards to Rousey. Most know she tore through her division, destroying all comers. I was always impressed but felt it wouldnt be so easy v a good striker and/or all round athlete. Thats why i bet on Tate and lost. Kaufman and lost. McMann...lost...Carmouche? Lost.
I didnt know a lot about Holm just that she was a world champion boxer prior to MMA.
Saw a few fights, not impressed, didnt bet on her...and lost my chance lol
Many reveled in her being compketely dismantled ala Silva. I, honestly couldnt believe it because she owned everything. However, you had to know she was due. Way overexposed, hypocritical comments, inflammatory stances, poor sportsmanship and petulance all part of her come uppance.
The MMA world is curiously awaiting her first public appearance since her iconic beatdown....this could bury her forever or reinvent herself.

TheNorm

Heh, my brother and I were talking about this. He called it the Rocky III effect, and I can see the similarities: Rocky got kinda soft and started splitting his time between too many commitments...just like Ronda did. Rocky didn't put in the work for his first fight with Clubber Lang, and it sure looked the same with Ronda here. Not taking anything away from Holly Holm by the way, she fought one hell of a fight and picked Ronda apart.
But like you said, now the question is: can she bounce back like Balboa, or will she just fade? I personally think she'll return with a new focus and mission to get that title back, but with her star being as huge as it is and still being a marketer's dream, she may just decide that it's a hell of a lot easier to make money that way too.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

I watched the replay. I was a casual fan. But after her poor sportsmanship I was against her. Loved seeing the beat down

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on November 16, 2015, 02:32:21 AM
Heh, my brother and I were talking about this. He called it the Rocky III effect, and I can see the similarities: Rocky got kinda soft and started splitting his time between too many commitments...just like Ronda did. Rocky didn't put in the work for his first fight with Clubber Lang, and it sure looked the same with Ronda here. Not taking anything away from Holly Holm by the way, she fought one hell of a fight and picked Ronda apart.
But like you said, now the question is: can she bounce back like Balboa, or will she just fade? I personally think she'll return with a new focus and mission to get that title back, but with her star being as huge as it is and still being a marketer's dream, she may just decide that it's a hell of a lot easier to make money that way too.

Good observation and I agree, except, unlike R3, her camp tells her how great she is and most disturbing, how good her boxing skills are.
I dont see her fading away, especially with a loss gnawing away at her. Shes no quitter imo So i agree with you.

Crewe

Not to start a new thread but gambling me is considering $50 on a McGregor longshot lol 😳

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on July 07, 2017, 07:25:50 PM
Not to start a new thread but gambling me is considering $50 on a McGregor longshot lol 😳

Only a puncher's chance in hell man...and if Floyd somehow falls I'm immediately screaming fix (with Floyd probably having bet against himself to cash in hahaha). And since this is his chance (I think) at going 50-0, everyone's probably gonna get more of the same they get with every Floyd match: defense, he scores a few punches each round, and coasts to another boring victory.

Worst part about this match is it take away some of the press for the GGG/Canelo fight, which should be epic: two guys with KO power that absolutely love to mix it up.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Oh I agree! That's why I say longshot lol
I just long for someone to plant Floyd

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on July 07, 2017, 11:19:46 PM
Oh I agree! That's why I say longshot lol
I just long for someone to plant Floyd

Hahaha don't we all?  :thumbsup:

TheNorm

Found a couple of streams for this last night (like I'm gonna shell out $100 to end up in the pockets of a guy that beats women). More entertaining than I thought it would be. McGregor landed some decent shots, but didn't have the stamina to go the distance. Even so, f*ck Floyd...I don't give a damn if he's 50-0. He's 50-0 because he built his career on mainly ducking fighters in their prime and running around the ring. Good riddance, get out of the sport and don't come back.

Crewe

Yea I was glad Conor didn't embarrass himself but I can assure you of one thing, if Floyd were in the Octagon, he would most certainly be humiliated, and fast. But I digress, we know that will never happen.
He uses the rules of boxing to a T. Out point your opponent and don't get knocked out.
Granted, he is solid defensively, but he just pokes and covers once he has enough points to win and then when he's ahead in rounds, why open up at all?
Ever play air hockey? Remember the guy who just hold his paddle in front of the goal, never moving, making it impossible to score? That's Floyd.
And like you said, doesn't take on the best at their best. That's why Ali, Foreman, Frazier etc are the best and Floyd never will be