UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

40k 7th edition coming

Started by rollntider, May 11, 2014, 02:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

the big evil empire releases new rules.... meh

Sakura

I think the two things holding me back from even considering 40k are the movement rules, and the cost.  $150 for four or five units is just too much.  And then there's the whole factor of the inches metric.  If I need to have a ruler on hand to measure how far my unit can move per turn, it's like "to hell with this."  D&D uses a grid of tiles which are all 1m*1m for a reason.  I'd rather just use a grid and sacrifice some of the "freedom" of placement for the convenience of not needing a damned ruler to play a game.

rollntider

the ruler is not too bad. (I figured Canada whould have some, and you could get them cheap off of amazon)

The cost is high.

I have a dark angels army and not as into it as I am warmachine or other skirmish games.

Warpath is supposed to do a kickstarter (mantic) and it is a 40k clone right now (many folks use their models) anyways I am waiting on their rules rewrite and they may be a better option.
about mantic vs. games workshop
Pros: Models are cheaper, rules are free(pdf) they give you more models per faction

cons: not as popular, finding an opponent is tough

try deadzone, its mantics skirmish for warpath and it is grid based currently. Models should swap over to warpath when the new rules come out.

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on May 15, 2014, 02:13:07 AM
the ruler is not too bad. (I figured Canada whould have some, and you could get them cheap off of amazon)

Oh a wise guy, huh?  This is a good set up for a Stooges bit, but unfortunately I don't really know any stooges bits.  I could just as easily use a tape measure as a ruler, and I have plenty of tape measures, the point I was making is that I don't like measuring unit movements.

rollntider

Ah.... I thought you were saying that you didn't have tape measures in Canada measured in inches.... my bad... long day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sakura

I wouldn't consider getting into Warhammer because of the cost, but more over, because of what assholes Games Workshop are.  They treat their customers as even less than a dollar sign, they're more than happy to take your money and treat you well when you're new.  But once you buy the set, they kick you in the ass and tell you not to come back.  They send C&D letters to just about any site on the internet which hosts any form of content for the game, including fan generated content (which, believe it or not, is not copyright infringement).

To hell with that crap.

rollntider

There are other games, mantic is going to reboot warpath and hopefully that will give GW a run for their money.  Their CEO did step down and hopefully they will change some of their ways.