News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Madden 16

Started by TheNorm, August 27, 2015, 11:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

I haven't bought a copy of Madden since 2012 when Megatron was on the cover, and I rarely played that one (it was good from what I remember but that was during the phase when I probably shouldn't have been buying games in the first place due to lack of time to play them). But with the PS4 and EA's second release on the system, I had to give this one a go...and so far I'm impressed.

Gameplay is pretty good so far, but having not played a football game in so long I'm a bit rusty...luckily EA included a trainer to help you learn all the new additions on both offense and defense, and it's come in handy. The graphics are simply incredible on the next gen system, and the game is smooth.

In typical EA fashion however, the game is not without bugs, with probably the biggest one involving the Connected Franchise mode-it's even been recommended to not start a franchise until a patch is released.  >:( Guess it'll just have to be time spent on some more practice and checking out other modes. More impressions to come soon!

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/madden-16-connected-franchise-issues-to-get-patched-soon/
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

I'm honestly loving the gameplay so far. It's the best I can remember Madden being out of the box in a long, long time. I don't feel like there's a need to make a million slider adjustments so far.

TheNorm

Quote from: thaima1shu on August 28, 2015, 02:15:42 PM
I'm honestly loving the gameplay so far. It's the best I can remember Madden being out of the box in a long, long time. I don't feel like there's a need to make a million slider adjustments so far.

Same here. Only played a couple of games so far but the game just feels right to me...and I actually look forward to playing more of it.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Glad you guys have it, keep me posted.
The reviews seem really good, however, the actual gamers present a different story. I hear a lot about it being the same ole same ole. You know I always like to rely on people I know who have similar tolerant levels for when it comes to gaming so keep me in the loop.

rollntider

yeah would love to get it also.... jonesin for some NCAA

TheNorm

Hmmm, I'm concerned that this game might actually be broken now - TE Brandon Pettigrew actually catches passes in this game, and anyone that's watched the Lions over the years knows that is utter bullsh!t for stonehands to be catching passes regularly. I mean, I know that's part of his job, but he hasn't been good at it. It's gotta be a glitch or error that EA needs to fix.  :D

Tried that Draft Champions mode today. In case you're wondering, in this mode you get a base team but then go through 15 rounds of choosing a coach and then players to stock your team. Each round consists of 3 choices, and once your draft is done (it doesn't take more than a few minutes), you can win three games against the CPU to win Madden Ultimate Team points or packs (not really sure, only played one of three). The games consist of 3 minute quarters so one screwup could really cost you. Fun mode.

Gameplay is still a blast - might try and post some pics and video over the next few days.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on August 29, 2015, 02:20:07 PM
Glad you guys have it, keep me posted.
The reviews seem really good, however, the actual gamers present a different story. I hear a lot about it being the same ole same ole. You know I always like to rely on people I know who have similar tolerant levels for when it comes to gaming so keep me in the loop.

I'm not sure what they mean by 'same ole, same ole'. Granted I haven't played this in years and I haven't been one to pick Madden yearly in a very long time. This game feels different to me, and feels like there's a bit of a learning curve to it. I'm finding you really need to play to the strengths of your team, and that you can really tell the difference between top rated players and more middle of the pack players. For example, in Draft Champions mode I built around my offensive and defensive lines a bit, but my secondary (other than FS) and my WRs were simply so-so. I did draft Ryan Tannehill at QB, but when you're used to playing with a guy like Matt Stafford with an absolute cannon for an arm as well as Megatron to throw to, there is a difference. The same plays where I could just chuck it to Calvin Johnson don't work when you're chucking it to the likes of Hakeem Nicks and Lance Moore as your primary WRs. Playing lots of man-to-man/press coverage with a blah secondary got me torched on a regular basis (by Colt f'ing McCoy of all people). I'm really liking that I have to play to what my team has...and once I get a franchise going with the Lions I'm pretty much screwed if Matt Stafford gets hurt.  :)

Crewe

I just meant that it seems like its minimally improved from last version, focusing on improving features that dont matter as much as gameplay etc...
Keep the reports coming because i might pick up a football...i mean the football game this year.
However, NHL, Metal Gear and Mad Max are on my radar as well

thaima1shu

The gameplay improvement is what has stuck out the most, actually. It's not perfect by any means and there are still things that need improving. AI coverage/intelligence needs some work. But otherwise the gameplay feels very good and mostly realistic. The passing game is actually fun. The run game feels like there's weight to it and it makes sense. Catch animations and qb handoff animations look really good. QBs, both user and CPU, are prone to throwing incompletions at times based on accuracy ratings and aren't always automatic. CPU QB actually throws the ball away if pressured, or if they're mobile QBs they will take off. Player ratings seem to really matter this year. Penalties actually work and the sliders affecting them work.

There are some issues like Norm mentioned with franchise mode. But when it comes to gameplay, this is easily the best Madden has been in many, many years. It's legitimately fun this year.

TheNorm

Quote from: thaima1shu on August 31, 2015, 12:32:32 PM
The gameplay improvement is what has stuck out the most, actually. It's not perfect by any means and there are still things that need improving. AI coverage/intelligence needs some work. But otherwise the gameplay feels very good and mostly realistic. The passing game is actually fun. The run game feels like there's weight to it and it makes sense. Catch animations and qb handoff animations look really good. QBs, both user and CPU, are prone to throwing incompletions at times based on accuracy ratings and aren't always automatic. CPU QB actually throws the ball away if pressured, or if they're mobile QBs they will take off. Player ratings seem to really matter this year. Penalties actually work and the sliders affecting them work.

There are some issues like Norm mentioned with franchise mode. But when it comes to gameplay, this is easily the best Madden has been in many, many years. It's legitimately fun this year.

That part in bold is probably what sticks out with me the most. It's the first football game in a very long time (NCAA included) that doesn't feel like a chore to play...it's a bunch of fun and I actually find myself looking forward to playing it again whenever I'm done with a game.

thaima1shu

Norm are you playing on PS4? If so we gotta get a game in sometime man!

TheNorm

TheNorm

The more I play this the more I begin to think they've really nailed down the realism in gameplay this season. Examples and some photos coming!

In one game I played at Lambeau against the Pack as the Lions, and decided to go with snowy weather for this one. As has been customary for the Lions since 1991, I got torched there. I couldn't do anything to stop the Pack in the first half, as they torched me for four TD's. They were up 21-0 before I could finally sustain a drive that ended with a TD, and on their first play after the score Randall Cobb beat my corner off the line and Rodgers found him, game pretty much over after that. Scored another TD in the second half to make it 28-14, but could do no more. Had to make my offense pretty one dimensional with time winding down and GB was able to pick that apart. The Pack ran a very well balanced offense making it very difficult for me to key on stopping either the run or pass effectively.

I'm sure you can figure out by looking at this pic this play doesn't end well for me.

Oh hey, I might actually do a thing here!

Now the next game I once again took the Lions on the road to face another division rival, the Chicago Bears. As we all know, the Bears are definitely not as good as the Pack OR the Lions, and after a fairly close first half with the good guys up 10-3, Cutler went full Cutler in the second half (and you NEVER go full Cutler). My defense forced Jay to throw 4 second half picks and won the game 31-3. Once again, this game just mirrors their real life counterparts incredibly well (Jay Cutler sucks).  :D

Calvin Johnson is good...unlike Dez, he can hold on to catches.

A 52-yard TD reception by Golden Tate early in the second half pretty much put this out of reach. Love the graphics.

CB Darius Slay illustrating what happens when a QB goes Full Cutler.

TheNorm

So I'm playing my CFM as the Lions, heading into Seattle at 1-2. Threw 3 picks (including a pick-6 to Richard Sherman), yet still somehow found myself in a position to tie the game late in the 4th...which I end up doing with a pass to Golden Tate with 24 seconds left-drive started at my own 3-yard line with 1:47 remaining and no time-outs. Even converted a 3rd down and a 4th down play to keep the drive alive! Game ends up going to OT, and I receive the ball first. I proceed to grind out first downs and eventually get to the Seahawks 5 yard line before the drive stalls out. I settle for a FG but only leave Seattle about 36 seconds left along with their two timeouts. CPU gets the ball back on their 20, and on 1st down the play goes incomplete. 2nd down they run Beast Mode for a very short gain...and don't use a timeout. 3rd down is a 5 yard pass but I'm able to keep them inbounds...and once again they don't use a timeout. Clock hits :00 before they get one last play off.  >:(

Normally I'd be ecstatic about somehow coming away with a comeback victory in OT on the road, but the win feels cheap. C'mon EA, this should be basic clock management crap and you totally f'ed it up.

rollntider

yeah needs some better AI in that case.