UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

NES reboot

Started by rollntider, December 06, 2016, 12:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

rollntider

TheNorm

If I can get my hands on it I'll grab it, but I've also still got the original NES too so...and what's retropie?
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Sakura

Quote from: TheNorm on December 16, 2016, 12:04:37 AM
If I can get my hands on it I'll grab it, but I've also still got the original NES too so...and what's retropie?
It's basically a Raspberry Pi frontend that turns your RasPi into an emulation box and obscures the OS unless you close the frontend.

rollntider

rollntider

the parts list is off, its more than 30. but I built my daughter one after I could not find the NES. I spent about 65 and can play so many more games.

I did a retropie 3 and can play
N64, NES, SNES, 3D0, Sega - Master, Genesis, 32x, Saturen, and Dreamcast  and many more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaVQYURWVEQ

this dude gives great tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHh5b2IWxQ

Use your old PS3 controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTeJn8gbkq8

Sakura

So looking into the shopping list, I could build a unit  (including the controller) on a RasPiZ 1.3 camera edition for $96.88, which is probably around the same price as the NES Classic in CanadiYen dollars.  A lot of the parts listed in that tutorial don't exist on the Canadian Amazon store, and of those that do, some of them have inconsistent pricing (for example, the mini-hdmi to hdmi cables are cheaper when buying them in 6 foot length than they are in 3 foot length by over $20 for no discernible reason; and the 6 inch cable is over $100!!).  I don't need that stupid security screwdriver, though, because if I were going to put together a mini-emu box then it might as well be placed in something nice looking.  Like an old broken NES, Genesis or what have you.  I have a little wooden box that I don't use that would be a great candidate.

It's a neat little DIY thing, but when it boils down to it, I already have a gaming computer.  I don't go to friends' houses often enough to really warrant me buying this kind of thing, but if I were going to, I'd probably use a box of adequate size to hold 4 controllers.  I actually bought a Steamlink from Amazon during the Black Friday sale, which I don't recommend unless you're using a wired connection.  I thought "how bad could the wifi be" after reading some reviews, and I was astounded at how much the friggin thing locked up over wifi.  So I'll have to buy another Powerline to expand my network, but setting up the Steamlink itself is pretty quick and easy.  A nice alternative for cheap if you already have a gaming PC in your home, you can use it to play all of your non-steam stuff as well, all you have to do is minimize Big Picture when in the Steamlink.

rollntider

Yeah that list is off. I did not do the NES cartridge one, I built a raspi3 and pretty happy with it for what it was. The NES things are impossible to get and its only 30 games and only 18 I would be interested in. I like this better.

Funny you should say put it in a old console. I am going to do one in an old PSX (first edition) I probably need about another 50 bucks in parts. I think it will look cool when done. I will have to do some soldering though.