News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Nintendo to rerelease NES with Games

Started by rollntider, July 14, 2016, 08:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

Share on Facebook (7,830)  Tweet  Share (281)  Pin (123)   
Nintendo is bringing back the NES — only a little smaller.

Today the company announced what it's calling the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. It looks just like a NES, only a lot tinier, and it comes with 30 games built in. You can connect it to your TV via a HDMI cable, and it also includes a controller designed to work just like the iconic rectangular NES gamepad. (The new controller will also connect to a Wii Remote, so that you can use it to play Virtual Console games on a Wii or Wii U.)

In addition to HDMI support and a lack of cartridges, the new mini-console also features one useful modern convenience: multiple suspend points, so that you won't have to fumble around with passwords when you start playing a game again. The NES Classic Edition will be available on November 11th for $59.99.

Here's the complete list of games:
Balloon Fight - Meh
Bubble Bobble - Meh
Castlevania - Never got into it, Meh
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - more meh
Donkey Kong - Ok, you have my attention
Donkey Kong Jr. - Yes, love this one
Double Dragon II: The Revenge - Yes!, why only this one?
Dr. Mario - Yes
Excitebike - Yes
Final Fantasy - Yes (this was the third one right?)
Galaga - Yes
Ghosts'N Goblins - Ok but hated how hard it was, plus I have like 15 copies of this with compilations
Gradius - YES!!!
Ice Climber - Never played
Kid Icarus - Never played
Kirby's Adventure - meh
Mario Bros. - Yes
Mega Man 2 - never liked the mega man
Metroid - never played
Ninja Gaiden - never played
Pac-Man - meh (why not Ms. pac Man)
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream - Yes! (Although loved the Mike Tyson one better, cuz it was Mike)
StarTropics - Never played and would love to.
Super C - Just one Contra? I call foul, but yes
Super Mario Bros. - Yes
Super Mario Bros. 2 - Yes (My Fave)
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Yes (Reminds me of my Senior year in High School)
Tecmo Bowl - Yep
The Legend of Zelda - OK (liked the SNES version the best)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - meh

TheNorm

Woah...you've never played Ninja Gaiden??

Even though I still have a working NES along with some of the games listed here (Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon II, Tecmo Bowl), I'm definitely picking this up (along with a bunch of other thirtysomethings looking for it too). Use of an HDMI connection is awesome. Also glad my Mike Tyson's Punch-Out still works too.  :woot:

Just might have to hook this up again this weekend!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

yeah when NES came out, any games i bought I had to buy, and paying my car insurance and gas came first. By the time I probably could get it, the SNES was eating up my time :)

Sakura

My own private take on this is you would be better off buying a Raspberry Pi and using that to build an emulator box.  It would cost less than this unit, and you know exactly what you're getting (cause there's been some questions asked with no answers, like input lag, expandability, etc), and you can put way more games on it (including games that aren't just NES).  The only catch 22 is you bring your own game pad or arcade stick to the table, but most people already own a controller.  But yeah for $60, you can get so much more for less money from an Android device.

Mind you, there's a lot of idiots who are saying "I WILL BUY ONE AND NEVER OPEN IT AND JUST ADD IT TO MY COLLECTION BECAUSE I LOVE NINTENDO SO MUCH!" and to them I say suck on a tailpipe, buying something for the name brand alone and not to actually use it is just silly.  But otherwise, I suppose it is a nice solution for people who aren't savvy with Android devices who just want a simple machine.  The one upshot of this thing is that it comes with an "authentic" controller that is an "exact" replica of the NES controller.  I wouldn't mind buying a pair of those just to use them for emulation.

rollntider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmdUJ8AMKx4

I plan on making a raspberry pi gaming emulator myself. Been a cheap skate LOL

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on July 23, 2016, 07:11:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmdUJ8AMKx4

I plan on making a raspberry pi gaming emulator myself. Been a cheap skate LOL

Personally, I find Pat Contri to be the most annoying Nintendo fanboy I've ever seen.

Anyway, post pics when you get that box goin, are you going to get a 3D printed plastic shell for it in the shape of a Famicom or NES?

rollntider

I like Pat, but to each their own i guess. :)

I will probably get the onethat comes with it.

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469428153&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=raspberry+pi+3&psc=1

I am open to suggestions also if you know of a better offer

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on July 25, 2016, 02:30:30 AM
I like Pat, but to each their own i guess. :)

I will probably get the onethat comes with it.

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469428153&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=raspberry+pi+3&psc=1

I am open to suggestions also if you know of a better offer

Nope, that's what I was looking at too.