News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Ball-ghazi

Started by TheNorm, May 06, 2015, 11:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Everyone's calling it deflategate, and it's tired. Besides, I like this title more and unlike the namesake it's taken from the investigation here might've actually found something on its intended target. So...I guess Deflategate might've been more appropriate then?  :D

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12834679/tom-brady-sacked-never-deflategate-findings

QuoteIt turns out that a pair of low-level Patriots staffers were the two-bit Watergate burglars in this case, and that Brady -- not Belichick -- was the tragic Nixonian figure who allowed his unyielding drive to win to blur the line between right and wrong. Appointed by the NFL to find out if New England had intentionally deflated footballs used in its AFC Championship Game rout of the Indianapolis Colts, Ted Wells concluded it is "more probable than not" that Jim McNally, the officials locker room attendant for the Patriots, and John Jastremski, an equipment assistant for the team, did tamper with game balls after they were examined by officials.

"Based on the evidence," the report reads, "it also is our view that it is more probable than not that Tom Brady (the quarterback for the Patriots) was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of McNally and Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls."

Wait...what? So instead of hard facts you're giving me "more probable than not" and "generally aware"?  ::) Well that was a waste of time. What's the punishment gonna be? Will it be "more probable than not" that Tom Brady will just get a fine? I'd think most would want more than "more probable than not" facts if you're going to hand suspensions down. Try and hand down a suspension with wording like that and expect the NFLPA lawyers to jump all over the NFL on it.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

I am not a hater or a fan of the pats, I am more meh about the whole so called scandal.

rollntider

I do prefer your title of it over the whole "gate"

TheNorm

LOL, can't wait to see how fast the appeal flies in on this one.  ::)

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/05/11/new-england-patriots-tom-brady-nfl-deflategate/27141017/

I seriously think Roger Goodell is trying to challenge Gary Bettman as the worst commish of the four major sports leagues. So deflating footballs is worth 4 games, but striking a woman only gets you two?

And can the referees now apply that "more probable than not" rationale to future penalty calls too? "Pass interference, defense, #25, it's more probable than not that he interfered with the receiver on the play."

Sheesh, this fucking league.

*EDIT* And if you think I'm defending Brady in this, I'm really not. Like I mentioned in the 2014 Season/Super Bowl thread, if he cheated he should be punished for it. But I want proof, not this "more probable than not" bullshit the NFL and the Wells report are trying to shove down our throats.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

I agree, smacking a woman around is 2 games, under inflating a ball based on hear say is worth 4 games, plus draft picks, and money?

I call bullshit, Suspend brady and the staffers one game, fine Brady 10k and make the coaching staff work a soup kitchen one weekend and call it a day.

I for the record think Brady did it, and the coaches and staff knew it. I also think it is a victim less crime, if the ball is easier to catch deflated, it is easier to intercept and knock down.

Does it taint their title? A wee bit, but there are far worse offenses out there. Also the pats would still be champs this year.

Crewe

Didnt we have another thread about this? Couldve sworn i posted about this but maybe i dreamt it.
FWIW, more probable than not is a legal term IIRC, but i dont know how it would factor into this scenario.
I dont care one whit about Brady. I think hes a whiny spoiled shit who has talent and a coach who led him to success, and i would bet all $8 in my account that he undoubtedly cheated.
Is he the first? Of course not.
Is he the first to even fuck with air pressure? Of course not.
Is he even the first to get caught?
Of course not.
Are he and the Patriots polarizing? Of course. So now its a story.
Just like with Romo and/or the Cowboys, so i sympathize in that regard, however, my only thought about the cheating is not that he actually did it...yea, im sure it gave him a bit of an advantage, but my wonderment is why?
You have to cheat? Cant man up on a level field?
To me, this is no different than diving in the NHL or floping around in the NBA....it all lacks integrity and thats where i lose respect.

rollntider

Crewe