Pop Pass going to be called correctly (AKA ineligible men down field)

Started by rollntider, July 31, 2015, 09:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/7/31/9077143/pop-pass-ncaa-football-rules-2015

Yep about time they called this again. Some SEC and big 12 teams had made a living off of this. Ole Miss, Auburn and Ok State will have hard times if they call this correctly.I have not watched baylor much but I suspect they do this alot.

Quote"Like so many things in the game, it's legal deception," Big 12 head of officiating Walt Anderson told SB Nation at Big 12 Media Days about controversial run/pass option plays. "The difficulty comes when you start approaching the edge of what's legal and illegal deception."

Offseason discussions among Big 12 officials centered around the conference's new dedication to making sure offensive linemen follow NCAA rules and stay within three yards of the line of scrimmage on passes. The NCAA announced in March that all officials would pay closer attention to the illegal man downfield rule, in response to these RPO or pop pass plays.

"We could see this problem happening as offenses and systems began to change. We knew there was no way to work tomorrow's game with just seven officials. We were already behind the curve with seven," Anderson said.

The Big 12 recently added an eighth on-field official, potentially contributing to a national trend. Adding another official means having more eyes to watch offensive linemen -- specifically, where those linemen are when a pass is released. That could make it harder for offenses to get away with having linemen this far downfield on a pass:

Crewe

rollntider

That's cool I was not sure about them, Ironically that play mentioned in that article showed Alabama committing it and a barners called me out when it happened. I also told them we should have been flagged for it, the difference is they do it every 3rd play by design, what we did was not taught and should have been called just the same.