News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

NHL 16

Started by TheNorm, May 20, 2015, 10:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

So EASports finally released some information on NHL 16, and it looks like it's only going to be a PS4/inferior microsoft console release (too bad PS3/360 owners).

http://mihockeynow.com/2015/05/ea-sports-nhl-16-information-including-new-online-features-playoff-beards-and-more/

QuoteYou can follow the link above for more information, but here are some bullet points:

The EA Sports Hockey League will return, and it has been "reimagined." Fans can choose specialized player classes for balanced competitive experiences, so player skill and your ability to "play as a team" will decide who wins and loses.
Six-on-six online play will be available for drop-in games or private sessions.
With 'online couch co-op' you can play online with friends you're sitting next to.
Game-play modes include 'Be a GM' (better keep your players' morale up), 'Be a Pro' (start from a rookie in the CHL and work your way up) and 'Hockey Ultimate Team' where improved player management and the introduction of 'Hut Single Player Seasons' gives fans another way to improve before 'HUT Online Seasons' or 'Play a Friend' sessions.
The game will offer a training tool so you can practice your offensive and defensive skills.
In-arena authenticity has been improved to feature things unique to each NHL club, like team specific celebrations, mascots, chants and signature props.
Doc Emrick, Eddie Olczyk and Ray Ferraro are all on the call once again.
Playoff beards. That is all.

Oooh, playoff beards-color me excited.  ::) Hopefully they actually use some of that next-gen power and tune the game up a bit. Still love the addition of Doc Emrick for PBP, but Eddie O can go take a flying leap off the nearest tall building.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Im cautious after the last few versions, not up to their code, but we shall see.
Love the addition of Doc and i dont mind Eddie. Perhaps because being with the best makes him better.
Hey, at least its not the dork in the glass, McGuire.
I truly wish they'd swap out him and Engblom

TheNorm

First impressions, since I picked this up a few days ago:

+ it's fun. Like really fun, out of the box.
+ The graphics are incredible. Stadium atmospheres are also well done, and authentic for the most part: seems like EA got the goal horn at the Joe slightly wrong, and they do play the goal songs for each arena - even Chicago's brain dead idiotic anthem for their brain dead bandwagon rape enabling fanbase. Okay, that might've been a bit overboard but if they're seriously cheering for Patrick Kane then f--- them, they deserve all the vitriol. *rant over*

- the PS4/inferior Microsoft console versions still seem to be missing a couple of features that might've been present on PS3 versions from previous releases. I remember a Winter Classic venue in previous versions as far back as NHL12 and 13, but there isn't one here...and no way to choose where to play your games either.
- the goalies tend to be a bit terrible...the team needs to fix them for next year.
- Call the EA Music Trax overrated or whatever, but Madden gets them and I'm fairly certain FIFA got them too...EA too cheap to get some licensed songs for the NHL product too? C'mon.
- The Gatorade trainer in Madden is amazing, and helps teach some of the finer points of the game. EA needs to get on that and apply that to some of their other games like this one too, because it'd be perfect for people new to the game here.

Overall I'm glad I haven't picked up this game in a few seasons because this feels leaps and bounds better than what I played most recently...but unless big changes and improvements come to the next version (17), I don't know if it'd be worth picking up again a year from now. But for now, it's fun and I'm having a blast with it.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Alright, I went to a Bama hockey game this past weekend and have the fever again.  Used to love going to Bham Bulls (minor League) and played the hell out of some NHL on Sega way back when.

So tell me, should I get this game?

I see the EASHL (sp) and it looks like a multiplayer only... so can i do custom teams in an offline league?

It looks like a great game but does anyone give it their seal of approval?

TheNorm

Pick it up used if you need a fix...I just got tired of it after awhile, every game just felt the same to me. The atmosphere is pretty cool for the rinks, but not enough to keep me glued to the game for more than a week or two.
It really is disappointing (but also not all that surprising) that EA just seems to leave features out of the sports games on the newer systems that were there 3-4 years ago on the PS3.

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on February 02, 2016, 09:44:34 PM
Pick it up used if you need a fix...I just got tired of it after awhile, every game just felt the same to me. The atmosphere is pretty cool for the rinks, but not enough to keep me glued to the game for more than a week or two.
It really is disappointing (but also not all that surprising) that EA just seems to leave features out of the sports games on the newer systems that were there 3-4 years ago on the PS3.
:'(

may have to wait a year or too... what PS3 NHL game do you recommend?

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on February 02, 2016, 09:50:23 PM
Quote from: TheNorm on February 02, 2016, 09:44:34 PM
:'(

may have to wait a year or too... what PS3 NHL game do you recommend?

12 and 13 were the ones I enjoyed most, 14 wasn't bad either although I didn't really get to play it much.
I really wish NHL would let 2K take a crack at this game again, still feel they understood the game best. EA leaped ahead of them a bit once the PS3 was released, but the game has felt stagnant with them for a little while now.