News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Linux mint

Started by rollntider, August 14, 2015, 10:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Just created a virtual machine and trying out linux mint. A little wierd compared to windows, but I want to get used to it.

Sakura

I wanted to love Mint, but the problem with Linux is always the same: compatibility, compatibility, compatibility.  You could try using the compatibility layer Wine to run your Windows-based games and apps, but the thing is, the only thing it had going for it on my end of things was the fact that it preconfigured my Wireless adapter, so I didn't have to muck about with a whole bunch of console commands like I did with Ubuntu 10 years ago.  They've really come a long way, and Mint looks great.

So if you're into playing video games, Mint and Linux as a whole are just not options for your gaming device, but if you have two or more computers, then absolutely install Mint on one and Windows 7 on the other.  If I was going to go back to Linux, Mint would probably be my first choice.  Back when I was trying to decide on a distro, it was a tossup between Mint and two other distros, but Ubuntu wasn't even an option that I was considering at the time.  Which isn't to say that Ubuntu is terrible, but I wanted an environment that looked familiar.

rollntider

I am running mint on virtual box, but i keep crashing each time I add the video driver. I am using mint to use lazarus and intellij for development.

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on August 17, 2015, 12:52:37 AM
I am running mint on virtual box, but i keep crashing each time I add the video driver. I am using mint to use lazarus and intellij for development.

Are you using an AMD video device?

rollntider

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on August 18, 2015, 10:41:27 AM
Yeah Radeon r7 240

AMD are notorious for offering very poor and often no driver solution whatsoever to non-Windows OSes.

rollntider