News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

MLB 16 The Show

Started by Crewe, January 27, 2016, 11:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Hello spring!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/01/26/mlb-the-show-16-new-road-to-the-show-details-revealed/

I really hope RTTS gets major love this year.
I might even try to manage a franchise this time too since you can go year to year.
As far as wish lists go, I've always wanted to be able to see the weather on pre game screen so you could then accessorize appropriately.
Also, would it kill you to allow us to mix and match uni selections or at the very least, allow us to choose uni's?

Crewe

Sounds of the show is back. Developers created an avenue for this feature when Sony shut it down, making this the biggest missing piece last year.
I take new features with a grain of salt until I have possession of the game, but still looks pretty good this year.

Aaand, I just traded in $40 worth of games and bought MLB 16 for $20 bucks. not as good a last year when I paid only $7, but Ill take it.

TheNorm

So this drops today, but I haven't ordered it yet...I'm pretty sure I will, it just comes down to time.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: TheNorm on March 29, 2016, 09:01:35 AM
So this drops today, but I haven't ordered it yet...I'm pretty sure I will, it just comes down to time.

Yeah, that lasted maybe a day...now I just need to find time to fire it up and import my pitcher from last year. May even start up an infield player too, since I need to change it up a bit from pitching. Want to create a speedy player, but also one with some pop in the bat. Time to figure out who to model that player after!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I have a Griffey, Jr type CF, a typical SS and a power pitcher.
The first is my main one, I'm about 9 seasons deep there. The others I've tinkered with over the years just for variety but I think SS will be my next main guy.
Once I picked up the new version, I created a catcher, again for variety. It's nicer now because you don't have to call the whole game.

While I'm here, this is what I've noticed...
HR's are scarce! I have a guy who for 7 years has hit 20-30 and now 2 months deep into the season and he has 3.
Same for triples and base stealing. I'd have 7-12 triples a year on average, on pace for two or three.
I've tried all settings but maybe it's me. I'll keep tweaking.
I really enjoy how they keep tweaking the hitters perspective of the pitches making hitting more realistic.
The OF cam seems different. Something is a bit off but can't tell exactly what. When the ball is hit, the camera doesn't seem to give me proper view of the ball.
Absolutely hate the fact that every hit sounds exactly the same, don't know why they messed with that.
The Showtime thing confuses me, still haven't used it because I'm not sure how.
Improved physics and animations are great, love the pitchers reactions.
I've been bitching for years about wing able to choose uni's in RTTS, now you can, finally. Only at mlb level though, not in the minors.
Oh and the roof at Minute Maid is rarely open.
Speaking of, it seems like every single game is a day game. Noticed that last season too.
SOTS is back! Although this was a Sony problem, not sds

I use analog hitting with the timing stride but I see a lot of people use the reticle.
What do you use?
Lastly, love the fact you can breeze from game to game without going back to the main screen. All load times much much faster

TheNorm

Lol...all I've had time to do is play through part of that tutorial game until the game installs (which is literally the most at-bats I'd taken in an MLB The Show game in at least 3 years  :o), and transferred my pitcher from last year's game to this year (still in AAA ball for the Angels...apparently I'd gotten traded at some point last spring but I haven't played in 10 months and forgot about it  ;D). I'm trying to get used to the pitching mechanic a bit, because it felt like my button presses were a bit delayed on the pitching meter.
Hitting and baserunning are going to take a while for me to pick back up, if I ever had it in the first place. Hope I can because I'd actually like to try playing franchise mode again as well as creating an IF for RTTS.

TheNorm

Made about 6 innings through an exhibition game, my Tigers against the Marlins in Detroit. First off, wow the graphics are impressive-I just love how detailed everything is. It's seriously the first time I've played a game in the Tigers home park in a few seasons, and the difference is amazing.
It's also really going to take me some time to get used to hitting again, as evidenced by the dynamic difficulty for it barely moving while I was at bat lol.

Also started creating a SS but I can't remember which MLB pro I modeled him after. Looking forward to getting through the scout thing and the other stuff to get drafted! But more importantly, like you mentioned SOTS is back so naturally I've started a short list of songs for my player(s). Curious to hear what you're using!

As you can see, I've gotten my walk-up/pitcher entrances from not your typical places. :D But may throw these in there for good measure too

Will probably throw in NWA's Straight Outta Compton in there too, just to hear what that would sound like since we'll never see it in a live MLB game.  ;D

Crewe

HA! Funny you throw those out there. I have the Paige tune in the rotation as well as...

Can't go wrong with Motorhead

Ill stop there, but suffice to say, we're on the same page lol
The WWE has some terrific music over the years. I used to have the hard rock Lita version a couple of versions ago.
I use different clips for walkups, relievers and HR's. I used to have GnR's Back off Bitch for HR's.
Regarding SOTS, just an FYI as Im sure you know,
Create a folder called music and put everything in there.
Only use mp3's.
Do not use a thumb drive with any other formatted files except mp3's.
Only import once you have everything you will be using. If you import, then add more to the drive and try to import that, it seems to cause a crash and you have to delete and reinstall the game
Apparently you cannot delete files out of the game and re import either, at least not without re installing the game.
Once you import, it may tell you it only loaded x number of files out of x number of files due to error. This happened to me, for instance, it said, imported 683 out of 1170 files. Well, there were only 683 on the drive, so Im not sure what that is about.
Thats all I can think of for now, it seems many folks are having issues importing like I just described, but thats what Ive learned so far and it seems to work. Let me know if you have any troubles.

On another note, I should add that I love using the cheers and jeers too, even making some myself. I added the "You're gonna lose, you stink" from Stillwell in A League of their own lol
Got a few from Major League, could probably drum up something from Bull Durham Im sure lol
Only bad thing is, those files are all at a lower level than the rest of the game despite any attempts to increase volume before importing. But still, makes the game so much more fun.

Also, forgot to note in earlier posts about the catcher RTTS, when you play in the field, you have to actually direct the mitt to catch the pitch, block curve balls etc, makes it a lot more interesting, plus as I said, you don't have to play every single hitter which was a drawback before, playing the entire game.
Look forward to see how you progress, and toss over any ideas you have :D

TheNorm

Haha yes, glad I'm not the only one then. :D

...and I actually didn't know that about the SOTS issues, will definitely keep an eye out for those-thanks!

Crewe

found this one I had used before loll

Also, I was able to add songs in later with no issue, but may be an anomaly so FYI.
Oh yea, about the volume thing, I haven't tried increasing the volume on files, just read that, but, did discover you can lower other audio, such as PA, crowd, etc, which will make everything more audible.

TheNorm

Ah, now I remember who I modeled my RTTS SS after: Carlos Correa. I think you might be familiar with him Crewe?  8)

Anyway, I think my strategy the first season or two will be to throw most of my training points at fielding/baserunning. Kind of had a middling performance in the Player Showcase and fell to the 5th round before getting drafted by the Nationals. Had a decent start on Opening Night for Double-A Harrisburg, going 4 for 5 with a HR so that was pretty damn cool (I'm sure it was all skill and not the dynamic difficulty basically starting off at rookie for me :D). I loved the opening clip, with the behind the back shot of your created player looking out onto the field prior to his first game-nice touch!

Fielding camera will take a bit of getting used to; I don't like how when you're running toward a certain base and the camera changes direction, that forces your player to move in a different direction than you were intending. It's a bit jarring, but I'll figure it out.

Crewe

Yea, I think I know that guy lol
Knowing what kind of strengths you want helps build your guy. In my 10 year guy, I still don't have a gold glove lol

I really like how they have made pitches mimick real life pitches. I mean cutters actually cut, running FB actually runs...really makes solid contact an art, as it should be. In my 10 year guy, I'm at 70 walks with abou 45 games left and the most I've had before is about 67, so this version improved, again. Game is just fun.

I think you will notice you will get streaky too. Times where I can't get solid hits and striking out lol so I'll just start taking pitches all day long to try and draw walks to work through it. Then the contact will improve but every ball you hit will be right at somebody and then outta nowhere you will just see pitches and it's on!
Also, over a career, there are just pitchers I own, like Darvish, and then there are guys I can't hit with a washtub lol

The base running is loads better than it used to be. The key is, keep the stick in the same direction during the entire sequence, don't change just because the animation does.

Crewe

I don't know if I said this or not, but on your custom sounds, turn other sounds down, like pa crowd etc to enhance custom audio that may not be as audible as you like.

Yesterday heard a rare one I put in for when the other team makes an error; bob barker, this guy sucks, from happy Gilmore lol

TheNorm

Funny that you mentioned streaks because my player has definitely cooled off a bit. Still need to work on that patience thing too though, because I start pressing a bit and just swing at everything.
Need to get around to downloading that OS roster with full minors set so I can get going on franchise too.

Crewe

its interesting how they developed the game to incorporate streaks without becoming arcade style, its really sort of inspiring in a way.

I just finished my 10th season with my initial RTTS CF guy and now Im working on my IF whose in his second season in AAA ball and he's uh, struggling shall we say. A double play and whiff machine right now.
As far as patience, its a great asset. You will also learn to identify the look of pitches, but when you see someone who throws a good slider and then someone who throws a Randy Johnson slider, holy crap lol
Good times.